My workshops are all about making words less worrying. From writing for your audience and developing a style guide to eradicating common errors and proofreading like a pro, these interactive sessions are suitable for anyone who works with words in any capacity.
Each workshop includes practical exercises and materials to take away for future reference. Content can be tailored to suit your business requirements, and discounts are available for those booking more than one session.
Please contact me for an accurate quote based on your individual needs.
It’s a commonly accepted truth that we all make mistakes. But wouldn’t it be nice to be right more often? This workshop will cover all those niggling doubts about grammar, punctuation and spelling. Rest easy knowing where commas should go, whether you mean effect or affect, and that your modifiers are no longer dangling.
- Grammar and spelling misconceptions
- Grammar issues, such as personal pronouns (I or me), verb agreement, and misplaced modifiers and correlatives
- Punctuation issues, such as possessive apostrophes, colons and semicolons, quotation marks, hyphens and dashes, and comma usage
- Spelling issues, such as easily confused words and how to remember the difference
- Other common issues, such as using ‘however’ and e.g., i.e. and etc.
*Elements of this workshop can be incorporated into any of the other workshops below.
While hiring a copywriter is ideal, for many businesses it’s not always possible. From mailers and brochures to pitch documents and internal materials, writing is a fundamental skill required of many roles. I’ll share practical techniques you can use each time you start writing, helping you reach your audience and saving you time and money in the process.
- What is tone of voice and why does it matter?
- Discussing and defining your brand voice
- How to write for audiences and get results
- The ‘Six Cs’ of good copy
- Structuring your message to make it work
- Writing in plain English
- Help with headlines
If you work with words, chances are you’re already editing. Whether you’re cutting to fit, making changes for style or turning bad writing into something better, this workshop will elevate your editorial aptitude. I’ll get you thinking about your brand and how you can use editing and style guides to shape your content and bring consistency to your materials.
- What is editing and why does it matter?
- Content editing: logic, syntax, structure
- Mechanical editing: grammar, spelling, punctuation
- Fact-checking: accuracy, credits, quotes, plagiarism
- Style guides – what they are and how to use them
- Build your own style guide
While some might regard proofreading as editing’s ugly friend, I’m obsessed with it. Spotting a crucial error before something gets printed or posted practically makes you a superhero! This workshop will give you the techniques you need to proof to perfection and markup like a pro, with lots of practice to boost your confidence along the way.
- What is proofreading and what is it not?
- Three-read process for proofing success
- Know your style guide
- Common errors to watch out for
- How to markup
- BSI proofreading marks – learn the most useful symbols and how to apply them
- Editorial housekeeping
Here’s what some of my workshop attendees have said about their experience.
“Sarah’s workshop exceeded expectations! Sarah is charismatic, experienced, and highly knowledgeable. Everyone who writes or publishes for an external or internal audience needs to attend this workshop!”
- Jeffrey Smith, Senior Events Administrator
“The course was well structured and tailored to our team’s individual needs. Sarah was
professional, knowledgeable, and passionate, which really shone through in her delivery of
the modules. I would highly recommend Sarah’s training services.”
- Sophie Scott, Events Administrative Assistant
“The course was engaging, well paced, and effective. Sarah was professional with a good
sense of humour and made everyone feel comfortable to ask questions. I would thoroughly
recommend Sarah’s course to colleagues and friends.”
– Molly Taylor, Events Manager
To find out more and to get an accurate quotation, please email me or give me a call on 07570 597026.